-Stalking By Proxy

How to File a Complaint with DOJ


Criminal Enforcement:

If you would like to file a complaint alleging a violation of the criminal laws discussed in this section, you may contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which is responsible for investigating allegations of criminal deprivations of civil rights. You may also contact the United States Attorney's Office (USAO) in your district. The FBI and USAOs have offices in most major cities and have publicly-listed phone numbers. In addition, you may send a written complaint to:


Criminal Section

Civil Rights Division

U.S. Department of Justice

P.O. Box 66018

Washington, D.C. 20035-6018


If you would like to file a complaint alleging violations of the Police Misconduct Statute, Title VI, or the OJP Program Statute, you may send a written complaint to:


Coordination and Review Section

Civil Rights Division

U.S. Department of Justice

P.O. Box 66560

Washington, D.C. 20035-6560


You may also call the Coordination and Review Section's toll-free number for information and a complaint form, at (888) 848-5306 (voice and TDD).


If you would like to file a complaint alleging discrimination on the basis of disability, you may send a written complaint to:


Disability Rights Section

Civil Rights Division

U.S. Department of Justice

P.O. Box 66738

Washington, D.C. 20035-6738


You may also call the Disability Rights Section's toll-free ADA Information Line at (800) 514-0301 (voice) or (800) 514-0383 (TDD).


How do I file a complaint about the conduct of a law enforcement officer from a Federal agency?


If you believe that you are a victim of criminal misconduct by a Federal law enforcement officer (such as the Immigration and Naturalization Service; the FBI; the Customs Service; Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms; or the Border Patrol), you should follow the procedures discussed above concerning how to file a complaint alleging violations of the criminal laws we enforce. If you believe that you have been subjected by a Federal law enforcement officer to the type of misconduct discussed above concerning "Federal Civil Enforcement," you may send a complaint to the Coordination and Review Section, at the address listed above. That office will forward your complaint to the appropriate agency and office.


What information should I include in a complaint to DOJ?


Your complaint, whether alleging violations of criminal or civil laws listed in this document, should include the following information:


Your name, address, and telephone number(s).

The name(s) of the law enforcement agency (or agencies) involved.

A description of the conduct you believe violates one of the laws discussed above, with as many details as possible. You should include: the dates and times of incident(s); any injuries sustained; the name(s), or other identifying information, of the officer(s) involved (if possible); and any other examples of similar misconduct.

The names and telephone numbers of witnesses who can support your allegations.

If you believe that the misconduct is based on your race, color, national origin, sex, religion, or disability, please identify the basis and explain what led you to believe that you were treated in a discriminatory manner (i.e., differently from persons of another race, sex, etc.). Reproduction of this document is encouraged by the DOJ.

How To File Complaints Against The Police, Prosecutors, Judges.

And Legal Counsel (Private, Court Appointed, Or Public Defenders).

"A person falsely accused of committing a crime faces many of the same challenges as a guilty criminal defendant and has the same, if not an even greater, need for competent legal counsel. If the charges are ultimately dismissed or a not-guilty verdict is reached, the person falsely accused may be able to turn back to the court for recourse. Importantly, however, before contemplating a civil suit the falsely accused individual must focus on defending against the criminal charges." Jonathan Kaye, former prosecutor.



Filing Complaints About  The Misconduct of Attorneys:


Third Judicial Department Attorney Grievance Committee can receive complaints for the following counties:


Albany, Broome, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Hamilton, Madison, Montgomery, Otsego, Rensselaer, St. Lawrence, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren & Washington Counties


This is the direct link to the complaint form:



Address for mailing or hand delivery after you fill it out and print it:


Attorney Grievance Committee

286 Washington Avenue Extension

Suite 200

Albany, New York 12203

(518) 285-8350



Process for some other counties:


New York State Commission on Judicial Conduct


The Commission on Judicial Conduct is responsible for investigating complaints against judges of the unified court system and, where appropriate, determining to admonish, censure or remove from office judges found to have engaged in unethical behavior. A disciplined judge may request review by the Court of Appeals, New York State's highest court. A fuller description of the Commission's mandate and history can be found on the General Information page.


The Commission is composed of 11 members who serve a four-year term without compensation. The Governor appoints four members, the Chief Judge appoints three, and each of the four leaders of the State Legislature appoints one. The Commission appoints an Administrator and Counsel, who hires and directs the staff in Commission proceedings, and a Clerk, who assists the Commission in rendering its determinations. The Commission's offices are located in New York City, Albany and Rochester.


Click This Link To File A Complaint:


Main Page